Menu

Sunday

Postcards at Christmas by Julie Carobini-- A Cup of Christmas Cheer Blog Hop!


First things first, I want to announce the winner of the Christmas mug featured on Anita Mae Draper's blog last week is Katie J! Congratulations, Katie!

On the blog today, I'm so happy to be reviewing Julie Carobini's "Postcards at Christmas," which can be found in the A Cup of Christmas Cheer collection, Volume 2. I think you're going to really enjoy this story! Be sure to read the end of the blog for details on how you can WIN a copy of Julie's book, Fade to Blue! And if you'd like a chance to win the GRAND prize, be sure you stop at each blog on the tour and leave comment!

If you're a fan of Julie's other work, you won't want to miss this charming Christmas story. As usual, Julie has created a host of colorful, charming characters. Put that together with a small town at Christmas, and you've got the setting of "Postcards at Christmas." 

What would you do if you discovered an elderly woman is missing at Christmastime, and her son might not even know she's gone? 

That's exactly the situation Olivia, the main character in "Postcards at Christmas," finds herself in.

The story starts off when Olivia, who runs a thrift shop and longs to travel the world, discovers a box full of classic books and postcards from beautiful locales. When she sees the signatures on the backs of the postcards, she realizes the donation must be a mistake . . .  or is it?

Her search for the box's owner soon turns into an even greater investigation as she realizes the elderly woman whom the box belongs to is missing. What follows is a search involving everyone from Olivia's mother, to a neighbor, and even the postman, in a story sure to put you in the Christmas spirit.

But when Olivia does find the box's owner, she's in for an even greater surprise when the woman's son turns out to be quite different from what she expected. And, in the end, Olivia gets her own sort of Christmas gift as a result of all the work she's done to help others.

You'll just have to read it to see how it all turns out!

I thought Julie's story was such a fun read because the pacing was quick, the setting and characters were quaint, and it really had that wonderful Christmas feel! I always love a story with a happy ending.

Have you ever done something to help someone else, only to find yourself the one helped?

To be eligible to win a copy of Fade to Blue (B&H Books), be sure you leave a comment as well as an e-mail address where I can contact you next week in case you win. 

Fade to Blue is set on the California coast, in the shadow of the famed Hearst Castle overlooking the sea. The local is not unlike those depicted on the postcards that Olivia finds in "Postcards at Christmas." You'll definitely want a chance to snag this book right up if you don't already have a copy!



Julie Carobini is a fiction writer living in a non-fiction world. By day she shepherds non-fiction titles through the editorial and production process for Gospel Light/Regal Books. By night she writes novels set by the sea--five published to date. Romantic Times says, "Carobini has a talent for creating characters that come alive ..." Married to Dan and mom to three, she loves all things coastal (except sharks). www.juliecarobini.com

Now for a little more about our blog hope and the prizes! Each blog "hop" or stop will have a giveaway. And at the end of all the hops there will be a Grand Prize to someone who has visited and commented on every blog stop.  A $70.00 porcelain tea set from Yorktown's Victory Center will be part of the Grand Prize along with other gifts such as a $10 Amazon card, special hot cocoa packets, the two-book set of "A Cup of Christmas Cheer" and more!
Here's the complete Blog Hop schedule:
Friday, November 8th, Carla Olson Gade is on 
Carrie Fancett Pagels' blog 
Saturday, November 9th,   Ashley Clark is on 
Anita Mae Draper's blog.Saturday, November 16th, Anita Mae Draper is on Johnnie Alexander Donley's blog.
Sunday Nov 17th  Julie Carobini on 
Ashley Clark's blog
Friday, November 22nd,  Carrie Fancett Pagels is on 
Carla Olson Gade's blog.
Saturday, November 23rd,  Johnnie Alexander Donley is on 
Julie Carobini's blog 
Friday, November 29th,  
Colonial Quills Blog to announce Grand Prize winner.

The Grand Prize winner must have left a comment on each of the Blog Hop blogs.
A $70 porcelain tea set from Yorktown Victory Center, a $10 Amazon gift card, special cocoa packets and more will be given away. So be sure you stop at each blog and say hello! 


62 comments:

  1. Oh my word, I'm the first commenter? lol Congrats, Julie, for what sounds like a wonderful story! The Christmas books are lovely btw! I tried to win Fade to Blue when it first released and had no luck, so perhaps this time. :) I used to live very near the CA coast and moved across country to the deep South. Quite a change!

    I took my niece and her little girl in my home for about a yr when she ran into some hard times. They both blessed me by being here, altho it isn't always easy sharing your home. Now that my niece is settled somewhere else and doing well, she has told me that staying in my house was one of the happiest times of her whole life. And that still blesses me!

    dianalflowers(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, how kind of you to open your home to your niece! I'll bet you touched her in a way she'll carry the rest of her life. Thanks for stopping by and entering the contest!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Such a sweet and inspirational story you have, Diana! And if I were ever to move out of state, I think the south would be my choice--lovely people there :)

      Delete
  2. I am going to read this story next! Sounds so good. Thanks for reviewing and participating in the Blog Hops Julie and Ashley! It has been great getting to know you a little bit better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carrie! It has been nice getting to know you better too! I appreciate all the work you've done to put this together!

      Delete
  3. Oh I cannot wait to read all these stories. This one sounds so good !
    Carrie does a wonderful job of throwing parties and hops...smile
    Nice site Ashley Clark, looking forward to getting to know all you ladies better.
    Linda Finn
    Faithful Acres Books
    http://www.faithfulacresbooks.wordpress.com
    faithfulacresbooks@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I would love to see you around here again! I know you'll enjoy Julie's story!

      Delete
    2. Hi Ashley ! I have this folder on my pc so that I can bookmark reviewers sites and authors ! I try to get back often to places as I can. Between reading, reviewing and influencing, homeschooling my 3 kiddos and keeping house !
      Blessings
      Linda

      Delete
  4. I'm glad I dropped by to read the blog because this story sounds like one I would enjoy reading . Thanks for the info.
    JFWisherd(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie! I'm glad you stopped by too! Hope you enjoy the story!

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed reading the review and would so love to read this most interesting story. I have never heard of you until today, Julie and would love to read your books. Would love to win too! going on to your blog! Sincerely, Mary Lou K
    flowersmarylou85@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Lou, I know you'll love Julie's books! Especially if you love the beach-- and who doesn't? :)

      Delete
  6. Thank you all for your kind comments! I'm a Cali girl, but my husband is from rural Pennsylvania so it was so fun to set a story in that beautiful mountainous locale. I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have the chance to review your story, Julie! Thanks for stopping by today! :)

      Delete
  7. The book sounds wonderful. I have found that anytime I have helped someone with a word or a smile or financially or physically I always receive back a greater peace and happiness that means more to me than any material gift could ever bring.
    I helped care for my dad before he passed and I received more peace from that gift than I could express.
    Thank you. Love the cover of your book
    mcnuttjem0(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie! I hope you are able to get a chance to read the stories, and that you enjoy them. Isn't amazing how reaching out to others always gives us so much in return? Glad you stopped by today!

      Delete
  8. Looks like a most delightful read over Christmas break!
    susanlulu@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I hope you get a chance to read it and that you enjoy the stories! :)

      Delete
  9. Getting in the mood to start reading Christmas themed fiction.
    Martha
    josieringer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy the collection, Martha! Isn't it fun to sit down with a good Christmas story and a cup of tea? :)

      Delete
  10. This story sounds so interesting! Anytime I help someone else, I am always the one blessed. pat at ptbradley dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Patricia! Yes, isn't it amazing how helping others has that effect? Hope to see you around here again!

      Delete
  11. Going to go lay down and read some more stories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ashley. I enjoyed your review. And checked out your site. Also am a subscriber of yours now. I sure would love to win Julie's book. Sounds like a good story that I would love. Don't remember anything to answer your question happening to me. Please put my name in. Maxie mac262(at)me(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maxie, thank you so much! I'm so happy to have you as a new subscriber and look forward to chatting with you on the blog!

      Delete
  13. Ashley, did keep one of my nieces for a couple of years so she could go to special Ed. classes. It was time for her to start but they didn't have the classes in the small town where she lived and wouldn't allow her to go to school for she wasn't ready. I told my brother I could put her in school, but was far from him. He said ok, but they couldn't get her to learn. We didn't have that trouble, but did take a lot of work teaching her ordinary things that they usually just learn day to day. I really think they weren't spending the right kind of time with her. It was a thrill to see her big eyes when she remembered what she remembered we taught her. She learned fast and her teacher bragged on her too. She didn't even knoe what simple things names were, like spoon, fork, etc. It was a blessing to our family to be able to help her learn. And, she has never forgotten our love and help. There was only 3 mos. between my youngest girl and even she helped her. We started by cutting out pictures of things we cut out of papers. Each of my kids took turns showing her the pictures and saying what it was everyday. And she would brighten up and was like turning on a lamp and we knew she remembered what something was. I'll never forget this. Maxie mac262(at)me(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maxie, I love this story! Thank you for sharing! Such an excellent story of how helping others blesses us with rich memories and rewards, and how fruitful it can be when we allow ourselves to be the hands and feet of Christ.

      Delete
  14. all the stories on the blog tour sound so wonderful. i am looking forward to getting the books so i can read them for myself. i am also enjoying getting exposure to new authors. awesome. nm8r67 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb! I'm really excited about the series and hope you enjoy it too!

      Delete
  15. "Postcards at Christmas" has such a touching storyline, would love to read it! I love everything about Christmas, & always buy a new Christmas book every year!

    I have to say that just about every time I do something for someone else - I am rewarded, also - because giving to others always brings happiness to me, also. Whether I'm giving an actual gift, sending a card, letter, or comment of encouragement, donating food, goods, or money, or helping someone with a task, etc. - it truly is more blessed to give, than to receive.

    Thanks for the opportunity to win "Fade to Blue"!

    bonnieroof60(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Bonnie! Best of luck to you in the contest!

      Delete
    2. Congrats, Bonnie! You are the winner of Fade to Blue! *throwing confetti* I'll send you an email too!

      Delete
  16. helping others give you new families!
    so blessed to have made dear ones by doing what comes easy
    one blessing
    I worked in the public schools for 12 years with special needs children; first with blind students as braillist in the class one-on-one putting print above their braille for the teachers, and the last few years with autistic middle school students. When we retired and moved to be in the middle of our children in three states, our then neighbors invited us over for supper with them. That was when their oldest was in a high chair and now there are four (they have moved to a larger home). He has high-end Asperger's and we hit if off fine because of being comfortable together. Isn't God so great to use the smallest thing, we thought, to be the biggest thing for others! Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Kathleen! Your life work is so inspiring to me! I think that so often, special needs children get overlooked as being less valuable. How rewarding it must have been to spend all that time working hands-on with children who face different challenges each day. Especially the braille-- wow!-- what a rewarding experience. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  17. Wonderful to be here. Two stories that are on my must read list.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! :) Hope you enjoy the stories!

      Delete
  18. The story sounds intriguing! I love that sort of suspense. :) Lovely post.
    lattebooks at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I know you'll love Julie's story!

      Delete
  19. Julie, this is a voice from the past (spoken in ghost-like deep resonance). So glad to get an update on you! Congratulations on your work(s). I hope I win! Blessings to you, friend! Kathyspeak AT aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with you-I don't like sharks either and thus stay out of the ocean. My swimming pool suits me.
    Thanks for the blog hop. I get introduced to a lot of new authors I have yet to read.
    JWIsley(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol ... unfortunately, my co-workers at Gospel Light have begun to use my fear to taunt me. My nickname is shark bait ... ack!

      Delete
  21. Cup of Christmas Cheer sounds like a wonderful book I'd love to win and Postcards at Christmas sounds very interesting. Most intrigued on Fade to Blue as well.

    ABreading4fun [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, apple blossom! Best of luck to you in the contest!

      Delete
  22. a wonderful posting...thanks for the chance to read these Christmas stories :)

    karenk
    kmkuka at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, KarenK! I hope you enjoy the collection! :) I'm so excited with how it turned out.

      Delete
  23. I am so grateful to learn more about Julie Carobini. I went to her website and added all of her books to my list. I just love the sound of her book Fade to Blue, and if I could win that, I would be off to a good start with my collection of her novels. I am so grateful for these blog tours because they introduce me to so many authors that I did not know anything about. I really can't wait to read the Cup of Cheer books! They are on my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I know you'll love Julie's books, and hope you enjoy the Cup of Christmas Cheer collection! Sounds like you're an avid reader!

      Delete
  24. These books sounds amazing ! Wish I could afford to buy them all
    likesmusic2@consolidated.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie! I hope you get a chance to read the collection. Be sure you enter into the grand prize, as we're giving away a copy of the books!

      Delete
  25. The books sound amazing. Love to read books. I am such a book junkie!
    CherylB1987@Hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. I know I'm running a bit behind on my comments, but I do want to enter them all. :) Lovely blog hop and charming books - godleyv [at]yahoo{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love Christmas stories and this sounds so wonderful. This has been such a wonderful blog hop. I think I hit them all. Thanks so much.
    Blessings
    joeym11@frontier.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful set of Christmas stories! I can't wait to read them! Thanks for the giveaway!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. It sounds like a delightful story! I'm looking forward to reading my copies of A Cup of Christmas Cheer that I won from Carla Olson Gade at Overcoming with God!
    homesteading[charter[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful collection of Christmas stories. I think it's wonderful to become acquainted with authors. their works and the chance to read them! Sonja(dot)nishimoto(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete