Menu

Thursday

Holy Hearts

You've probably heard the verse in Matthew about the pure in heart being blessed "for they shall see God." That's always been a curious idea to me, being able to see God. In what ways can we see Him if we're pure? In our lives? In our thoughts? In the blessings around us?

Lately I've been thinking about the importance of guarding our minds. My high school Bible teacher always used to say that the mind it is where the battle takes place, and it's so true. Actions are just ripe thoughts, really.

As writers, we bear a special responsibility to guard our hearts and minds. Popular literary theory would suggest that there is no intrinsic connection between an author and his or her work, but I disagree with that completely. In my opinion, you can't escape your own preoccupations, and your values will find their way into your writing whether you intend for them to or not.

So just a reminder, as the Bible says, "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." It's important to write your characters as flawed--otherwise, they'll be boring--but remember we also hold a high calling to let a light shine through our writing, especially as inspirational authors, and the best way to do that is to guard our minds in the first place.

How have you found your thoughts working to shape your actions in our own life?

2 comments:

  1. Wise words, Ashley. I find it difficult to write something without using my own thought process and reasoning to make it authentic? Write what you know, right? :)
    The danger to me is, when I try to write FOR an audience instead of from my heart...that's when my values get pushed aside to impress...a destructive road for writing integrity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting, Angie, and so true!

    ReplyDelete