Menu

Wednesday

Those Little Voices

I'm listening to Michael Hyatt's teleseminar on platform right now, and the whole thing has been great, but he just said one thing in particular that really struck a note with me.

He said when we set out to do something great, we all have little voices in our heads telling us why we can't. For you, it might be that you don't have the financial resources, or the amount of time, or even that your message will fall flat--that what you have to say isn't important. But he said that these voices of resistance should actually be used like a Geiger counter to let us know we are getting very close to something dynamic.

What a powerful thought! The way he phrased that really resonated with me, because I struggle with this every day. I think everyone does. I set out to do lofty things, and I get excited, and then I start hearing these voices in my mind that drive feelings of insufficiency. My plot doesn't have enough conflict. My stories are not funny enough. I am not spending enough time writing this. I am not being productive enough. And so on and so on.

But wouldn't it be powerful if we turned that line of thinking around? If instead of becoming discouraged when these voices of resistance come, we allow them to empower us? What if we started looking at doubt and discouragement as a Geiger counter, like Michael said, that shows how close we're getting to our big picture dreams? What a cool strategy to fight against those doubts when they come.

What do you think about this idea? What excuses do those little voices in your mind make for why you can't achieve what you want? How do you work past these voices?





You can find more about Michael Hyatt and the resources he's compiled for writers at his blog: http://michaelhyatt.com/

4 comments:

  1. Great insights! I have to get up early to write because my little voices don't wake up that early. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's a great word of advice, Julie. :) Love your new profile picture, by the way!

      Delete
  2. I really like this idea of using them to empower us. So cool. I definitely hear those voices, especially when I start to compare myself with other writers. We can also combat them with allowing ourselves to hear the Voice that really matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point about comparison, Lindsay! That is definitely so true.

      Delete