Menu

Wednesday

The Flight

Have you ever had a dream? Sure. We all have. But I'm learning that the funny thing about dreams is they're most clear when we aren't looking directly at them.

I had a very good experience at the ACFW conference this year. A lot of positive feedback, great time with friends, and the editor interest I was hoping to find for my new book. So there I am, sitting on the airplane headed home, and what do I do? My thoughts jump to what is coming next. I begin to pray and ask God to lead me to the next step of His plan. But then it hits me. He already is.

As I sat there trying not to breathe in too many plane germs, God spoke to me. You know what He said?

You're already on the plane.

Did you catch that? YOU are already on the plane too. That thought overwhelms me with thanksgiving. I may not know where I am going next, but the thing is, I am going somewhere, and so are you. The plane is no longer on the ground. We have left the former things in pursuit of the things to come.

That can be very nerve wrecking when you're a planner and like to know what comes next. But slow down for a second and let it sink in. But we aren't just waiting around. We are moving forward. The plane has left the ground. God's purposes for your life are already in action. Isn't that an incredible thing?



This was my view from my airplane window leaving Dallas.


I like knowing what comes next. I always have. So many times, I pray about God's next step for my life, and when I say I pray, I pray a lot.

But really, when it comes down to it, what I'm doing is taking myself out of a reliance on God. The praying is just a ruse for trying to take control. Instead of trusting Him to put the next step in front of me when it feels like I'm stepping into air, I'm looking for a step on my own. This is not how faith operates.

I know I've referenced this verse a lot lately, but let's look at it again. Hebrews 11:1. The NIV says it this way, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

KJV says, "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

The moment we cannot see the future is the precise moment we learn to step out in faith. Faith in what is seen is no faith at all. Hold fast to your calling, for if it is true, then even when you can't see it, that calling is the surest ground you could ever walk upon.

This past week, God has spoken to me that I need to slow down and just trust Him along the journey. So often, I get myself stressed out because I'm spending too much energy trying to figure out "the best thing" to do in every situation. But that's wasted effort. If we just look to Him, our footsteps will align with where they ought to be.

Our Heavenly Father delights in giving us good things. If He has put a calling on your heart, there is a reason. Keep your confidence in the work He is doing in your life. Being confident in His purposes is not pride--it's a very good thing. You may not see where He is taking you, but the important thing is, if you've committed it to Him, you're already flying.

Do you ever find yourself getting ahead of the place God has put you in? Maybe you haven't yet achieved your dream, but have you taken time lately to let the progress you've made sink in? How can we remain sensitive to what God is doing in our lives now instead of being so overwhelmed by future things?

8 comments:

  1. I always like to think of it as a path and God usually only lights up a small portion right in front of me. Beyond that, I can't see where it leads, but I trust him to always turn on a new light when it's time for me to move forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great illustration, Julie! I like what you said about the light and only being able to see so far.

      Delete
  2. Ashley,

    Very thought provoking...I'm already on the plane.

    Thank you for the reminder.

    Alena T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Alena! Thanks for coming by today. I hope you feel encouraged. You're going to get there soon!

      Delete
  3. Ahhhh, I love you! You always seem to say exactly what I'm thinking. I'm such a planner too, and often freak out about things out of my control. But God has already shown me that He can and WILL open doors if I let him. All I have to do it keep trusting, one step at a time, and walk where He leads. I don't have to kill myself "making something happen."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Linda! That's a good way to put it. Isn't it so much easier to live our day to say lives without all these worries?

      Delete
  4. So great, Ashley! I keep telling myself to take it slow and enjoy the ride...trying to ward off stress, really. But to see it as a chance to rely on God and trust Him with my future is so much better! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it really take the stress off? Now the hard part is keeping that perspective!

      Delete