Menu

Wednesday

God Moments

Yesterday was not one of those Jesus mornings. You know the kind--your skinny jeans fit, birds are flittering around outside your window, and your hair is doing that "beautiful with ease" thing you always want it to do, but it never usually does.

No, yesterday was not like that. Yesterday found me late to class, parking in some random resident parking spot on campus because the faculty lot was full, and sloshing through the rain with a cold. I was really, really trying to have a good attitude, y'all. But the papers I spent all day grading yesterday were getting rain-splattered, and my shoulder was starting to hurt from the weight of carrying my giant literature anthology around. (Side note: why do I always choose those heavy anthologies?) So, I'm having a little pitty party for myself all the way to class, thinking things like, "Great, now I'm late, and my students are going to say all kinds of horrible things about me on my course evals next week. Not to mention, my pants are all wet from the rain. Not to mention, I have a cold, people. Shouldn't I be able to find a decent parking spot when I have a cold? And no matter that, shouldn't I be able to find a decent parking spot period? Shouldn't they have enough faculty parking available for all teachers?" By the time I got to class, I was out of breath and frazzled.

Do you ever feel like that? It's so easy to compare ourselves to others, or even to our own "highlight reel" of good behavior. Have you ever found that when your day starts of rushed, or you have a bad attitude, you have trouble stepping out of that funk?

Here's what I think the problem is. We get so focused on what's going wrong around us, we lose sight of what is going right. Trouble is real. To deny problems and mistakes and challenges is to deny the redemptive power of Christ that is strong enough to pull us through those things. We shouldn't bury our heads in the sand and pretend things are perfect if they're not. However, the battle going on in our mind is not just about whether or not we are thinking sinful thoughts. That's such a small part of it. The battle is about whether or not we are consciously putting ourselves in a state of awareness of the presence of God.

In other words, God is present in every situation, so there is always a reason to rejoice.

We have a choice in every moment.

We can choose thankfulness, or we can choose to look at what is going wrong. But when we choose to look at the burdens of this world, we become heavy laden with them. Pretty soon, we're hunched over and out of breath. We're looking around, trying to figure out where we went wrong.

When all along, God has so much more in store for us. So much beauty in the world, so much redemption, so much peace... if only we would open our eyes to see it.





Philippians 4:8

New International Version 1984 (NIV1984)
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.


Psalm 100:4
New King James Version (NKJV)
Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,
And into His courts with praise.
Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.

4 comments:

  1. Whew, needed this this morning. I tend to get frazzled when I have too much on my plate, and guess what goes out the window? Time in His word, time spent with Him. Need to work on correcting that, big time.

    And side note: They NEVER have enough faculty parking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way, Linds. I've been reading Jesus Calling lately, and it's really helped me refocus, but even still, I need to do better about devoting time to daily devotions.

      And yes, what is the deal with faculty parking? You wouldn't think it would be that hard to arrange!

      Delete
  2. Excellent post -- thank you for the reminder of where our focus should be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! Glad you could stop by today!

      Delete