Menu

Monday

DIY Week 14: Repurposed Glitter Flats

First off, my apologies for posting this blog so late in the afternoon. I had to make a run to the store for more glitter because I couldn't find mine! Now that's an emergency if I've ever heard of one.

I don't know about you, but I'll take any excuse to play with glitter. When I saw some people on Pinterest using Mod Podge to spray glitter onto high heels, I thought, why couldn't I do the same thing with a pair of flats?

So I dug through my closet to find some flats that had begun showing signs of wear.These were the lucky winners, an old pair of Gap flats from the Audrey Hepburn collection several years ago (remember that? LOVED that collection).


Then, I took some Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue I had lying around the house, and used a sponge brush to sort of paint the glue glob on the shoe. I decided to do this project in sections: front, left, and right. I didn't wait for each section to dry (although I'm sure that would be a good idea-- I'm not patient enough!). Instead, I just made sure I fully covered one section before moving on to the next.

Once I spread the glue, I sprinkled the glitter on, then gently shook off the excess.

And whala! Happy shoes!



Here are some things to remember:
  • This is going to leave a mess. Be sure you put down a plastic bag or some newspaper to catch the falling glitter.


  • More glue is not always better. I learned this the hard way, as you can see from the goopy-ness of the following picture. If you make a mistake like this one, though, this project is really low stakes because you are just dealing with glue and glitter... easy to clean up! Just take your brush, brush off the excess glue, and tap more glitter on to cover up the problem.


  • I chose black glitter because my shoes are black. You can choose a contrasting color if you want, but just realize that you're going to have to pay close attention to the glue application.  Using the same color helps cover up mess-ups.
  • I also used a fine glitter rather than the chunky glitter you often see used in crafts to give these more of a store-bought look. You can find fine glitter at any craft store... just be sure you pay attention to the size of the glitter pieces in the bottle.
And that's all there is to it! What do you think? Do you have a run-down pair of shoes at home you could jazz up?

2 comments:

  1. Based on the quote I posted yesterday about writers & glitter, I think you should dub these your "writer" shoes.
    Brava on another DIY project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Beth, that sounds like a quote I'm going to have to find! I'm going to your FB page now to see if I can find it! :D

      Delete