Menu

Friday

Music Sets the Tone

Hope you all are enjoying your Friday and looking forward to the weekend. This blog will be relatively short because I don't want to belabor an otherwise short topic.

Today I want to encourage you to set the scene, not only for your literal writing, but also for your writing environment. In my WIP, the main character and her best friend just arrived in Hawaii for a vacation. It's not terribly difficult to write about the setting in her everyday life since I made her hometown similar to mine. However, Hawaii is a totally different story. My husband and I went there for our honeymoon, but that is the only time I've been.

So, I thought to myself, why not find some Hawaiian music online to set the mood? Let me tell you, it worked. I feel like my MacBook Pro and I travelled through space to Hawaii for a few hours. I used Pandora.com, which I would definitely recommend because it's customizable and free. You can obviously use cd's and other websites as well.

If you're having a hard time finding inspiration or are simply looking for some extra details for the setting, give music a try. On the internet, you can find music that represents most generations and regions. I hope you find it to be a helpful (and fun) tool.

2 comments:

  1. I love pandora. Our IT department at work won't let us use it at work anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bummer! You should try Playlist.com. A friend of mine on Facebook suggested it.

    ReplyDelete