Menu

Saturday

God May Be Calling, But What If The Line's Busy?

Lately I've been thinking a lot about what happens when God places a call on our lives, but we're a little too busy with all our good efforts to pick up. Who's on the other line? Well, it's probably not Satan incarnate, unless you are really outside my typical blog audience.

More likely, it's those nice folks at church, asking if you can volunteer for a few more service projects. Or maybe it's a coworker who wants to know if you can pick up a few extra hours.

Or if you're like me, maybe it's yourself. And no, I'm not schizophrenic.

I've seen this happen to friends who hold the idea of their "ministry" so close to their hearts that they are inflexible when God Himself brings a change to their plans, and I've done this many times personally when God is telling me to relax and I feel the need to explain how concerning and significant my efforts are.

The conversation goes something like this, "God, I know You're listening, and I know you care, but this stuff I'm doing here is pretty important, so please help it work out the best way it possibly can, and please give me strength as I work so hard to exhaust every possible avenue to make this happen."

When really, the prayer should be more like this: "God, I'm listening. And I'll follow."

The. End.

I challenge you today to live in faith rather than in a form of faith that's really driven by self-imposed, false humility and a legalistic, works-based salvation structure. Remember that it is by grace and grace alone we are redeemed, and all we are that is good is because of Christ's work in us.

So stop trying too hard to BE that person, whatever he or she looks like in your mind, and realize you already ARE if Christ is at work, living within you.

No comments:

Post a Comment