Menu

Wednesday

How to Make Fabric Flowers!

I was more than a little excited when I first saw these fabric flowers sprouting up (sorry--couldn't resist the pun). Feminine fabric, glitter, and beads? Sign me up! Little did I realize how easy they are to make. Today I'm going to do a tutorial so you can discover how fun they are yourself. But be forewarned... there's a good chance your house will be covered in these flowers in just a few days because once you start making them, you won't be able to stop!

Step One:
Choose the right fabric.
It's very important that you choose either satin or chiffon to work with. The way you'll get the crinkled edges for your flower is by actually melting the fabric. That said, certain fabrics (especially tougher fabrics, like most lace) will singe or even burn rather than giving you that pretty crinkle. Chiffon and satin both work nicely. Chiffon will crinkle more, whereas satin will give you a nice darkened edge. Satin also tends to make a more formal looking, less airy flower.


Step Two:
Cut out a circle.
Don't spend too much time worrying over this
step. Your circle doesn't need to be perfect; just freehand it with the scissors. In fact, rougher edges will give your flower more character.






Step Three:
CAREFULLY hold the fabric over a flame.
Some people like to use a lighter for this step,
but I like to use a candle because first off, it smells like apple pie (and who doesn't like that?) and second, there's less of a chance to catch yourself on fire. You still need to be careful though because--remember--the fabric is melting. This means your fingertips can get pretty hot. Be sure you never touch the flame to the fabric. If you do that, the fabric will catch on fire. Instead, hold the fabric an inch or two above the flame and keep it there until the flame crinkles the edges, then rotate the circle around until all edges are crinkled. Remember as you rotate that the crinkled fabric may still be hot. Also, there's an art to the crinkling effect. If you hold the fabric over the flame too long, the fire will burn a hole into your chiffon.

Step Four:
Repeat 3-6 times, depending on the desired thickness of your flower.
With chiffon flowers, I usually make about four to six of these "petals" because I like the way
they sit atop each other. You'll want to be sure you vary the sizes of these "petals" so that you get that flower effect and so they stack nicely. Each petal should be crinkled like the one at the right. Notice how the edges are darkened--the melted fabric will prevent fraying.



Step Five:
Either glue or sew your petals together. I also like to add a cute decoration to the middle of the flower, like a button, glitter, or beads. Now you're set! Your finished flower should look like the picture on the right.

For a pin:
Cut out a piece of felt smaller in size than the back of your flower, then glue the felt and the pin onto the flower.

For a headband:
Either use a pre-made headband and glue your flower on, or make a headband out of ribbon and a Goodie stretch band. (To do the latter, measure the size of your head, cut the ribbon accordingly, and sew the ribbon onto the ponytail holder to allow some stretch for the band.)

For a sweater embellishment:
Either sew directly onto a sweater, purse, t-shirt, or scarf, or make the flower into a pin for versatility.

Step Six:
Enjoy your new fabric flowers! Try different colors, fabrics, buttons and sizes for all sorts of different looks!

5 comments:

  1. I adore these flowers! I especially like how easy it is. I don't know how to sew (yet), so thank goodness I can glue them together. ;) I will be trying this in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love it on the headband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! Julie, making the headband was so easy! What I did is I took the ribbon off an old Loft bag I had lying around, then took two ponytail holders and interwove them to get the stretch. Then I sewed the ribbon on. Easy as that! Next time, I'll probably experiment with using glue instead, even to secure the ribbon to the elastic, because I think it'd be so much faster. I really like how you can make a variety of sizes according to what you need. They make great baby gifts too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a hard time picturing how you make the headband! :( Can you bring it to church on Sunday so that I can see it? I'd probably just use a regular headband, but I'm interested to see how you do it.

      Delete