Menu

Wednesday

The Little Cocoon

Hi faithful readers! I hope you all are having a nice morning. Ever have one of those weeks when you catch yourself putting your cell phone in the garbage can and stop in the middle of your own story because you realize you've forgotten what comes next?

Uh, yeah. That was this week for me.

I guess the fender bender shook me up more than I realized. Then I locked my keys inside my truck (totally embarrassing!) and spent the weekend discipling an adorable group of 6th grade girls, albeit without much sleep to go off. By yesterday, it was amazing I remembered to take my shoes off. At one point, I realized I was no longer wearing my earrings but had no recollection at what point I had taken them off or where I had put them. Thankfully, my subconscious is reliable like that and put them inside my jewelry box.


Plus, my adorable dog Maddie has been having some stiffness issues, and we're not sure what's going on at this point. Could be anything from arthritis to Lyme disease. We're pretty confident she's going to be fine, but seeing her in pain is just the saddest thing.

Sometimes in these moments it's hard for us to get motivated, isn't it? It's hard for me to summon the energy to write this blog. Hard to get motivated to write. Hard to find the courage to battle the newly-emergent wasps so I can water my flowers.

But then I get these reminders of how good I really have it in life. Did you all watch Dancing with the Stars tonight? I pretty much love that show, and tonight they featured a story about a young man named Richard "Steelo" Vazquez who suffered a sudden brain aneurism and lost his ability to speak and walk. One year later, he danced (tonight) on Dancing with the Stars. He still has a long way to go, but his progress and story literally brought tears to my eyes. I'm sitting here in my fuzzy pajamas with my fuzzy blanket and feeling sorry for myself because my car's in the shop. Can you say, "humbling"?

Sometimes we have mountaintop experiences with God, but many days we do not. Many days we spill French fries in our car and find an army of weeds in our yards. 


What do we do on these days?

Galatians 6:9 has been on my heart all week.

The NKJV says, "Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart." 


The Message says it this way (verses 9-10): "So let's not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good. At the right time we will harvest a crop if we don't give up, or quit. Right now, therefore, every time we get the chance, let us work for the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us in the community of faith."

While we have the chance. How powerful is that phrase?

Life brings seasons, whether we like it or not. I, for one, would prefer to perpetually exist in a nice autumn-like climate with perfectly blooming flowers and with a fully-functioning cardigan collection at my disposal. But I love in Florida. And much of the time, in actuality, I am wearing sweat-drenched sundresses and considering chopping off my hair like that girl on Once Upon A Time.


But what I love about these verses is their appeal to seasons. Another season is always coming in life. So if we are tired of planting and tending to little seedlings, we can take heart, because they're going to turn into a harvest, and harvest is just around the corner.


I found a little cocoon last week, and I've been watching it ever since. Today, ants found it too. So I spritzed them off with water, scooped up the grass the cocoon is on, and relocated it into a casted-off Amazon.com box, then put it out in the much-safer garden in the front yard.

I don't know what's going to come out of that cocoon. I can tell you what's come out of cocoons before. Butterflies and moths like the beautiful one pictured on one of my daises above. But I'm going to do everything I can to help that little bug survive.

Some of you might be in a cocoon stage of your writing life. Maybe you're wrapped in this dark place and changes are going on. Maybe you don't know what you're going to look like when you come out on the other side. But I can tell you one thing that will happen if you don't lose heart.


You'll fly.

My question today is how do you prepare for that flight? How do you combat those spilt-French-fry days when you can hardly even remember your name, let alone your plot? Because I for one would love to hear your thoughts and advice! Wishing you a day filled with grace and butterflies.







Flower photo found from: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/view/81421552/

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, this was wonderful. I love the whole cocoon analogy. I think sometimes we have to cocoon against what life throws us. We need to step away, nurture ourselves and gather some strength. Let's face it, life can be harrowing and we need time "away" to recoup, regroup, and transform into something of God's design. :) I tend to escape with a good, encouraging book! Imagine that!

    And DWTS was amazing! Loved that story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book idea is a great one, Sherrinda! A good book can provide a whole world of escape when things get hectic! :) Sounds like we have the same taste in TV! :D

    ReplyDelete