Menu

Wednesday

The Power of Prayer



There's a woman I know who's battled cervical cancer for years. Two years ago, God laid her upon my heart while she was in remission, and I didn't know why because I don't know her all that well. One year ago, she relapsed. She was unable to eat solid food for months and spent a lot of time being fed in the hospital through tubes. Her outlook was very grim, to put it mildly. 

Today she found out she's cancer free. That woman's name is Diann Hunt.

There's a baby I know who was born April 12th of last year at 23 weeks of age. In some states, abortion is still legal at this stage. Pierce was born weighing in at a grand total of 1 pound and 8 ounces. In the days that followed, his parents were told that his fatality was certain. Doctors did everything they could to save Pierce, but too many things were going wrong, and his potassium levels were so high (9.9), his outlook seemed completely hopeless. His heart was supposed to stop beating. But it did not. Pierce kept living, kept growing strong, defying all odds. 


Today he weighs over 19 pounds, is developing well, and continues to defy all odds. If you would like to follow Pierce's journey or read his miracle story, his mom Lindsay writes a beautiful blog at http://littlebabypierce.blogspot.com. The picture above shows Pierce next to an ink pen shortly after he was born. The picture below shows a comparison a year later. God is good.

I'm writing this blog today because God has put his healing power on my heart. I believe that the God of the Bible is still doing miracles today, and that there is hope for our lives. We get used to the power of God when we've been in church long enough. We're used to His story of mercy, to conviction in our lives. But we need to open our eyes.

Do you believe that the prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective? Do you pray like that? Think about how much more we could accomplish in our daily activities and our prayer lives if we saw the person God wants us to be and allowed that to be the person we are, allowed that to shape the kind of prayers we pray.

If you knew your prayers to God were powerful and effective, would it change the way you pray today? Maybe you've forgotten what it even feels like to pray that way. Something I've been learning lately is what it means to come to God like a little child. Maybe encourages you too.

When we start believing who we are in Christ, miracles happen in our lives.

It seems fitting that we welcome prayer requests on the blog today, so if something is laying on your heart and you'd like to mention it to us (or even just to mention that you'd like prayer), please feel comfortable doing so. I believe that God is wanting to do something in your life.

While we're on the topic of prayer, if you're having trouble staying focused in the presence of God (and don't we all struggle with that sometimes?) I wanted to mention that recently I've been listening to worship music on Pandora that has really helped focus my mind. Just go to Pandora and search something like "Bethel Music."

*Prayer photo from http://www.nyuseed.com/2009/0405/pray-for-new-york-city/

8 comments:

  1. I admit, I struggle with this one. I know that God answers prayer, but sometimes His answer is "No." And that's hard. But we have to trust that He had a reason for the "no." And we have to remember that just praying draws our hearts closer to His and helps us to know Him more. The more we know Him, the more we trust Him.

    I have an unspoken request. Thanks, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lord, I bring Lindsay before You know, and know that You know what's in her heart and the things that are weighing her down. I pray You would release her into the joy and freedom only You can provide, and that You would speak life into her situation, even now. Thank You that we can trust You hear the cries of our hearts, and that they matter to yours. I pray for change, I pray for hope, and I pray for healing and restoration in this challenging area, in Jesus' name.

    Lindsay, I SO get what you are saying. In fact, I almost wrote a separate paragraph about what happens when God says no. So much of the time, I find myself living in fear of God saying "no" in my life. Even when He says "yes," often I can't fully accept that, because the whole time I'm so preoccupied with that might happen if He changes His mind. But you're so right about prayer drawing our hearts, and another thing I've been learning lately is that our assumptions and presuppositions about God really matter. For instance, for whatever reason, I am often afraid (as I was just mentioning) God is going to do something contrary to the plans of my heart, something that takes away my dreams or desires. And I carry that into my prayer life, because I find myself bracing my heart against God. I do not believe that is a godly perspective on my part. You're right that the closer we draw to God, the more we realize His goodness, and the more we realize His goodness, the easier it is to trust. Sometimes I get so focused on what could go wrong that I forget to rejoice in what could (and already is) going right. There's so much to be thankful for in our lives.

    Thanks for stopping by today! It's been great getting to know you better lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the prayers, Ash!

      I have the same fear all the time (well, on bad days, anyway!). What if God doesn't allow me to be a published author? What if people in my life die? What if, what if, what if?

      I know, I know, I know that I need a more heavenly perspective. Because it's NOT all about this world and being comfortable. It's about learning to be more like God and bringing others to Him. I like the sound of it, but sometimes not the application and what it actually means in my life.

      However, I do believe God hears us. He makes it clear we are to pray. There are instances in the Bible where God was swayed (not as in someone manipulating Him, but as in He heard and was compassionate) by someone's prayer. It's about building relationship.

      Sigh. So tricky. So many thoughts on this. Thanks for engaging in the conversation with me. I guess we English/Lit profs like to dissect things, and not just books.

      And I've really enjoyed getting to know you too! Will I get to meet you at ACFW this year? Hope you'll be there!

      Delete
  3. Ashley,
    What an awesome testimony! I want to link this from my facebook page, is that okay?

    As far as prayers go, I think you know a few of mine! ;)

    Love ya!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be! I take it you will be too? How exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You bet, Angie! That's sweet of you to ask! :) Sending prayers and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe in the power of prayer. Please pray that God will heal my sister of Inflammatory Breast Cancer which has spread to her brain and lungs. I believe the power of you and your readers will be a positive result in her continuing life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, thank you for sharing this prayer request. Seeing loved ones ill is such a difficult thing. I'm praying for swift and full healing of your sister's body in Jesus' name.

    ReplyDelete