Menu

Sunday

Two Dog Bowls and a Merciful God

I wrote this blog post back in 2010, when my only readers were my mom, and on a good day, my husband. As I was thinking about something to post for today, I found this, and it touched me all over again. I hope as you prepare for the next season of your life, be it back-to-school preparations or getting ready for conferences, you are encouraged by this message to persevere in your writing. Things may not look how we expect, but God always has a plan ahead of us.

I've also included a couple newer pictures of the puppies for your viewing pleasure. :)

***
Schroeder's favorite spot to nap is on top of the couch. He seems to think he's a cat.

Maddie enjoying a Greenie treat. Doesn't she look like she's smiling?


A few months ago, though, we decided Maddie needed a friend. I'm a huge believer in animal rescue, as there is currently a terrible problem with pet overpopulation in America, so naturally I started researching dogs at various local rescues.

I didn't want a shelter dog (from a kill shelter) because shelter dogs have a stigma. They're not always vaccinated. They sometimes come with emotional baggage. And let's face it, kill shelters are terribly sad.

But then I found Schroeder, my handsome purebred Cocker Spaniel, and he changed all that. We took a chance on him, and oh, what a glorious "chance" it turned out to be.

So you can see how my dogs teach me daily about redemption. They came from awful situations, and now they're sleeping on Brookstone blankets. At least, when we're not looking.

That's where this blog fits in.

Maddie has this obsession with their food bowls. She wants their food to be in both bowls. If one bowl has food but the other doesn't, she will paw at the empty bowl until someone comes to fill it up. So the other day, there I am, sitting on the couch and watching TV, and Maddie walks over to her food bowls and proceeds to shamelessly paw at the empty one in an effort to get my attention. I told her, "Maddie, you have plenty of food in the other bowl. Eat out of that one." Reluctantly, she walked over to it and ate from it.

And in that moment, I thought to myself, how many times does God say to me, "Ashley, you have plenty of food in the other bowl. Eat out of that one."? Sometimes we get so distracted with what we think is the perfect means of sustenance that we miss out on the bigger bowl. We're so filled with discontent that it blinds us from seeing provision.

In what ways do you find yourself focusing on the empty bowl, and how has God called you to a bigger one He's already provided?

4 comments:

  1. I DO tend to focus on the negative or what I don't have instead of on all the glorious blessings God's plopped right in front of me. Thanks for the challenge today, Ash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lindsay! So glad to hear from you. Hope you have a great day! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Ashley. I will start eating from the bowl God has already filled and stop begging Him to fill the empty one first. *hugs* for this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of a quote a friend posted on FB this morning:

    "I'd rather rejoice in what is and what will be, than wallow in what isn't. After all, disappointment only stings as long as I let it." Lysa TerKeust

    I'm blessed beyond measure, but periodically - like today through the above quote and your post - God has to remind me.

    ReplyDelete