Menu

Wednesday

Perspective


Today has been one of those afternoons where things have been bothering me. Do you ever have those days? In my first class, one of my students was rude to me in front of the rest of the class, then I went to renew my campus parking pass, and it cost me $85! To park at my job. Students kept running out in front of my car as I was trying to get to and from class, and I just felt frustrated.

Then I looked around.

What a beautiful afternoon! Birds were chirping, the temperature was perfect, and things in my world were just generally good. Am I a little stressed this week trying to get everything done? Yes, but why is that? Because I have editor interest in my book. My book. How long have I been working toward this moment, and yet I allow my joy to be tempered by the most stupid things.

I had planned to blog about a different topic today, but I changed my mind when I began thinking about the power of perspective in our lives. Look at this picture I found of a subway stop. The stairs are called perspective art.




My question is... why spend so much time looking at the ground when God has built a staircase in front of us?

When we allow distractions to cloud our minds, they change our perspective and get it out of whack. We can no longer see what we ought to be seeing. We lose sight of our purpose, our heart, God's plans. We lose sight of the staircase we can only through faith be walking upon.

One of my best friends in the entire world is saying goodbye to her husband tomorrow for nine months because he is deploying to Afghanistan. She doesn't know how often she'll be able to talk to him because she won't know until he gets there what the internet and phone connections are like.

When I think of that, suddenly the rude comment my student made earlier seems so small, and I am humbled by the blessings God has allowed in my life.  

When we reframe our perspective, it allows us to see God's heart. I'm convinced this is why the Bible commands us in Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

What we think about forms our hearts. And what's in our hearts forms our lives. If we're too busy looking at the problems in our lives, or our faults, or the faults of others, we will miss out on the big picture of what God wants to do through our lives. We'll miss out on opportunities, ministry, and the hearts He wants to change... including our own.

I love Rothko artwork for this reason. It challenges our perspective. When you look at this work, where does our eye go? How is this like our perspective on life?


Photos from http://haha.nu/creative/perspective-art-at-a-subway/ and
http://www.abstract-art.com/abstraction/l2_grnfthrs_fldr/g051_rothko.html

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on the interest in your book! That's awesome! This is so true. Perspective is everything sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie! Glad you came by today!

      Delete
  2. Ash, you always seem to find a way to speak to my heart. Seriously. I spend waaaaay too much time thinking about the negatives in life. Thanks for reminding me to think with a heavenly perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Lindsay! You always have good insights!

      Delete
  3. Hello Bella's bestie #2 :) (your voice and Sarah's face) hehe Great post. Thanks for the reminder!! Love the pics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks, Betsy! So glad you stopped by today!

      Delete
  4. Hey sweetie..this was a very timely post for me. The past few days I have been bombarded by countless little frustrations and since my son is sick and consequently up all night my tolerance has been scant at best. How amazing that I was just reading that verse last night, and again this morning, trying to renew my mind-and here you have reinforced the same thing! God knows what we need most to hear! Thanks for the wonderful reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Amy, thank you for sharing that! I pray for encouragement, rest, and refreshing for your heart, body, and mind tonight. I know you have to be exhausted, girl! Hang in there!

      Delete