Menu

Monday

Setting Goals


I don't know about you, but I'm still having a hard time believing 2013 is just hours away! Do you have any big plans for the new year?

I've never been much for new year's resolutions because they seem hokey and almost always get broken. But this year, I'm doing something different. I'm going to take some time to write down my goals.

Have you ever noticed how easy it is to procrastinate open-ended goals? Now that my work, mainly my writing, has shifted to fewer deadline-oriented tasks, I've decided it needs to be a priority for me to quantify those tasks into achievable goals. So this year, I'm making lists! Some of the items may not be realistic. Some of them may be dreams. One of them will definitely be getting a three book contract with a respected traditional publisher. (Hey, I said they would be dreams, didn't I?) But others will be things I can break into chunks. Writing five chapters per week. Spending two hours per day outlining on certain days of the week. That kind of thing. It's so easy to let our focus shift from the important things when we have too much "noise" in our lives.

What about you? Are you making any resolutions this year? I know that many of my writing friends like to choose a verse or a particular word to focus on each year. Have you ever done something like that? I think it's a really neat idea but don't know how I'd choose just one!

Happy New Year, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I love the question on the plaque, Ashley. It's both immediate and long-term. Perfect.
    And now ... to ponder it and act on it.

    And I'm a one word gal -- abandoned resolutions eight years ago. The book My One Word, which came out this past December, is a wonderful way to dive into this experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of that book, Beth! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll look it up now. :)

      Delete