Menu

Sunday

My High-Waisted Skirt: DIY Project Week 3


I am so excited, you guys! Joann's Fabric had an extra teacher discount this week, so I thought I'd meander through the fabric aisles and see what I could find. Well, one thing led to another, and before I knew it, I'd bought the materials to make this skirt and finished it, all in one afternoon! This skirt was so fast and simple to make. Mind you, I'm still BRAND new at sewing, so while it might look good from the full photo, you can see a lot of mistakes if you look close. But it was such a good "first clothing" project that I'd definitely recommend if any of you are thinking about learning to sew.

Here is the pattern I used: http://handmademess.com/2012/03/19/the-easiest-skirt-in-the-world-x2/
It's very well-written and easy to follow. Actually, this girl's whole blog is fabulous. Definitely worth checking out!

This is one of those patterns I pinned on Pinterest months ago but never got around to and never really planned to get around to, honestly. Because, well, I needed to know how to sew. Well, this just goes to show the things you want to do may be easier than you think... but you'll never know until you try!


Okay, so to start off, you need about a yard of fabric and a yard of wide elastic. You'll want to cut the elastic so it fits nicely around your waist and is a little stretched. I actually had to go back through and make mine tighter because it was way too loose to begin with.


Then you take your elastic, fold it in half and pin it at that point, fold it again and pin it, and then fold it once more and pin, so that you create marked 8 sections. You'll also do the same thing with your fabric. The fabric is going to be longer than the elastic, though (since you haven't trimmed that according to your waist). Your next step is to line up the pin marks, and you'll find that the fabric naturally bunches since it's longer. It'll look like this:


Next comes sewing the two pieces together. You have to pull the elastic as it runs through the sewing machine so that the fabric runs straight through. That way, when you're done with your seam, the elastic will scrunch back up, and you'll have a cute bunchy look in your fabric. Here's what the back of mine looked like. You can see that I left too much extra fabric above the seam of the elastic. :)


And here's what the front looks like. You can see that my seam is... erh... a bit less than straight.


The rest is easy. Just sew up the sides, hem the bottom according to your desired length, and you're done! I was able to finish this skirt in just an hour and a half, and I have NO idea what I'm doing. So just imagine how quick this project would be for those of you who are more experienced.

Oh, and did I mention this whole project cost lost than $7? Not too shabby! The key is to look for clearance fabric, I've found.

Have you all been working on any projects this week? Any big plans for the holiday weekend?

2 comments:

  1. Ashley, you sure found some great fabric on the clearance rack. Good job...and you look so cute in it!

    I just finished a Goodwill dresser makeover! My before and after is going up on my blog on Wednesday. It turned out soooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherrinda, I can't WAIT to see how your dresser turned out! What a great idea!

      Delete