Menu

Wednesday

The Coat of Multi-Colored Dreams

The great poet Langston Hughes once wrote, "What happens to a dream deferred?" That question is what I want to write about today.

The story of Joseph is obviously one of the foremost stories about dreams given to us in the Bible, complete with what my pastor calls "dream squashers." Just because someone discourages you from your dream doesn't mean you should give up. It just means some people are negative. Don't let doubt or rejection keep you from the higher calling on your life.

Take Joseph. This guy has a couple dreams where things are bowing down to him, and he makes the mistake of telling his brothers, who are already seriously jealous of him. They jump on the opportunity to belittle his dreams and to strip him of his colorful coat. Now, Joseph could've easily allowed their attitude to get him down, and frankly, he probably did. I mean, they threw him into a cistern for goodness sakes! But he didn't let that stop him from pursuing the bigger dream he knew God had placed upon his heart.

Joseph's brothers thought they were robbing him of favor and stealing away his dreams when they took his coat. Little did they know, that was all part of the larger plan.

Let me share with you where I currently am in all of this and why the story resonates with me on such a deep level. My first manuscript is being evaluated by what I would consider my absolute dream literary agency. A couple years ago if someone would've told me this agent would be reviewing my work, I probably would've laughed--and I'm one to dream big! I realize the answer could very easily be yes, and it could also be no. Sometimes the anticipation makes me so excited I want to dance around my living room. But as I told one of my best friends who's going through something similar in her own life, this could just be my cistern. The thing is, I'm serious about this dream. And whether the agent calls me tomorrow to offer representation or sends me a letter of rejection, my daily steps are really going to be the same. I'm going to keep writing as much as I can, keep growing by studying the craft, and keep praying . . . because sometimes all we can see is the next step. As I told my friend, eventually all those small "next steps" will turn into a whole staircase of progress.

If there's one thing I want to say with this post, it's hold fast to your dreams because God's given them to you for a reason. Don't doubt your calling, and don't let naysayers bring you to defeat. Even if it feels like you're trapped in a cistern and things couldn't get worse, and even if they do get worse still, you'll find favor in the road ahead if your dreams are the Lord's.

What multicolored dreams has God given you, and how do you stay encouraged while pursuing them? How can we encourage each other on this journey?


1 comment:

  1. That is awesome about the agency reviewing your work. Keep us posted! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete