Menu

Wednesday

Scenes of Life

As I was falling to sleep the other night, I started thinking about scenes. Yes, you read that right. Scenes. I know that probably makes me a nerd, but I'm trying to strengthen the way I write scenes. I want each one to count.

I went to a paid manuscript critique at the most recent ACFW conference, and a best-selling author gave me some wonderful advice. She said to remember that each scene should serve a specific purpose. It should either further the plot or further character development.

That statement really stuck with me, and I've been thought about it almost every time I've sat down to write since then.

But it dawned on me the other night that the same thing applies to life. Every scene God sets before us, He has a purpose for. It's either to further our character or to further our story. Maybe both. But the important thing is that we remember we have a purpose.

How have you seen this play out in your own life? In what ways can you plan to pay attention to the "scenes" God puts in your life this year?

3 comments:

  1. I love this. What a wonderful way to look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as I have read, you have done a great job in this! :)
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are so precious! Thanks for the encouragement! :)

    ReplyDelete