Menu

Wednesday

Sufficiency


Do you have a dream, maybe something you're working towards, that feels like it will never become a reality?

Monday I had breakfast with a sweet writer friend who has recently felt God's pull on her heart to begin writing again. She has a graduate degree in English and is fabulous at it, but she's never written commercial fiction or non-fiction, so she's new to the game, to to speak. It's been such a privilege to meet with her and talk about writing because she has so much talent, more than she sees.

As I was talking to her, I caught this glimpse of where God is taking her on her journey. She doesn't see it herself yet, but I just get this sense He has big things in store for her. Big things. And you could be in that exact same situation. If God had put a call on your heart, it's for a reason. Your calling matters. Don't dismiss that.

How do we get from faith in the call to actually walking toward it, though? It sounds nice enough to believe on this big picture level, but what about when it means getting up an hour earlier in the morning, sacrificing time with friends, sitting in silence at a laptop for hours on end?

I'm talking a lot about writing because that's the relevant issue for me and for many of you as well, but really, this concept applies to anything. And the concept is this. When God calls us, He always equips us to do that work.

The thing is, we don't always see the tools He has given us because we aren't using them. It's like God has given us a toolset, and we've closed our eyes.

I truly believe that when the Bible says we have the mind of Christ and fulness through His sacrifice, we have access to those things this side of heaven. Yes, we struggle against our own fragility and the temptations of a broken world. We get sick, we sin, we deal with death. But even in that weakness, we are strong. We are whole because our identity is found in God.

Colossians 2:9-10 says, "For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over ever power and authority."

What a powerful concept. In Christ, we have been brought to fullness. It's so difficult to grasp this thought, isn't it? What does fullness even look like? Well, this verse says that the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form through Christ, so that means we have access to the full power of God. To holiness. Redemption. Sacrifice. The same power that raised Christ from the dead, living in us.

In essence, we already have everything we need. 


It's just a matter of picking up those gifts and using them in our lives.

Sometimes I think about what our daily lives and thoughts would look like if they were visualized. Imagine a soldier with protective armor and a gun. And instead of picking those things up, he doubts himself. There's a battle going on, but instead of heading into it, he wanders around aimlessly, unsure of his next step. His command is clear and he has all he needs. But for whatever reason--fear, insecurity, feelings of insufficiency--he can't seem to pick up his equipment and move forward. And so, in no man's land, he has a fateful end.

If you were to create a similar visual of your own life, what would it look like?

What is holding you back today? Jesus has already raged battle for those things, and the victory has been won. I know we hear that all the time in Christian circles, but how often do we really let it sink in? The battle is already won. We don't have to keep fighting it. We don't have to keep fighting against ourselves, our doubts, our own feelings of insufficiency. We don't have to have it all figured out.

All He asks is that we pick up the gifts He has given us and go. Because the unknown we're walking toward isn't unknown to Him, and He's already got it charted out. He's not leading you down this direction for no reason. So be of good hope, and keep keeping on.

2 Corinthians 12:9, "But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

Do you ever find yourself picking burdens back up and walking around with them? Why do you think we're prone to doing this?




6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Ashley. I needed this today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you inside my mind or something, Ash? :)

    I love this, the idea that God gives us exactly what we need to accomplish what He's called us to. It's such a simple statement, and yet so incredibly powerful. What would life be like if we started living with that knowledge? I admit I tend to lack the trust I need sometimes to move forward. I get afraid that I'll make it halfway there and be inadequate. But in reality, God's got this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I do the same thing. It's probably because we like to have things planned out. Sometimes I don't want to budge if I can't see the end result. But God's got it all planned out, and He sees the big picture for our lives. I try to remind myself... What does the person Christ died so I could be look like?

      Delete
  3. Great Post Ashley...awesome thoughts:) Just the reminder I needed today...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lorna! I'm so glad you could come by today.

      Delete