Menu

Tuesday

And they said, "We'll see what comes of his dreams."

A few days ago, I was reading in Genesis, and a passage about Joseph's brothers really struck me. I guess I've never really thought of Joseph as a figure for dreams before, but what a powerful one he is.

Just look at what his brothers have to say...

"Here comes that dreamer!" They said to each other. "Come now, let's kill him and throw him into one of these cisterns and say that a ferocious animal devoured him. Then we'll see what comes of his dreams."
-Genesis 37:19-20

I get chills when I read that last phrase. Read it again.

We'll see what comes of his dreams.

Do you ever feel like everything around you is working against your dreams? Maybe it feels like everyone is against you. Maybe what the world is really against is your dreams... because they don't like the very real possibility of those dreams coming true.

For Joseph's brothers, the dreams couldn't come true. Think about it. Bowing down to their brother whom their father already preferred? No thanks. So what do they do in response?

They set out to kill his dreams. I think it's so interesting that yes, they do plot to kill Joseph himself, but after that initial plan, what do they say? Not we'll see what comes of him. We'll see what comes of his dreams, as if the dreams are an even bigger deal to them than his life.

Do you dream of something grander than you can quite conceptualize? If so, you're not alone.

What happens next is very interesting to me, because the imagery is so evocative of the crucifixion. They strip Joseph of his ornate garment and throw him into the empty cistern, captivity. Then he is sold into what looks like slavery and eventual death.

But in the end, Joseph becomes King.

Your dreams-- the God appointed ones-- are dreams of mercy. Other people do not need to understand the cloak you are wearing for it to be valid and very real. You may feel enslaved to the forces working against you sometimes, but you have already escaped, because God goes before you and is preparing the way for your dreams. These are the dreams of the kingdom, the dreams of mercy.

6 comments:

  1. This is a powerful post! Joseph is such a great example of how to hold on to your dream in the middle of adversity. If anyone should have given up it should have been him. Through it all God was leading Joseph to his dream. It makes you wonder if the trials we so easily curse are really there to set us up for what God has for us! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting, Luke! I'm always amazed when I think about how Joseph ended up in jail, and even there, God's favor was upon him. Really changes your perspective.

      Delete
  2. Huh, I had never really thought about Joseph as an example for us "dreamers," either. I think maybe I needed to hear this today. :)
    I'm going around checking out the blogs of you Writers Alley girls, and you're the first one I've come to, and I am already glad I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you so much for saying that! I hope to see you around more often! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, what a powerful message right there! I'd never noticed before how Joseph's brothers had thought killing his dream was the important thing. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU, Amanda! So glad you stopped by!

      Delete