Menu

Wednesday

Your Calling Is Unique


I'm reading a book right now called You're Made for a God-sized Dream, and it's all about finding our calling, summoning our courage, and then taking steps to walk in that calling. Something this book touches on that has really stuck with me the past couple weeks is the idea that our callings are all unique. No one... no one... can fulfill your calling quite like you can.

God says, "For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."


Source: grownupshoes.com via Drybar on Pinterest






We've probably all heard that verse so many times, we could quote it aloud in our sleep. But here's my question: Do you really believe God's plans for you are good? That He KNOWS what He is doing, and desires to give you hope?

Have you ever gotten on Facebook or Twitter and discovered the following?

  • 27,938 words written today in my WIP! I can't believe how easy it is to write between 5-6 in the morning!
  • Great news! Jane Austen has just agreed to come back from the dead so she can personally give my book a glowing endorsement!
  • Just got off the phone with my agent, and she said not only is my writing the best she has seen in years, but three publishing houses are competing for my book, offering three-book contracts! AND she says I'm her favorite client so she's buying me new shoes.
  • I found out I got a perfect score in all seven contests I just entered, and now I'm going to get a bunch of expensive commemorative pens as prizes! (And let's be honest: who doesn't like a fancy pen?)
Before long, if you aren't careful, the comparison game starts up, and the 500 words you were able to squeeze in during your lunch break seem so insignificant, you begin to wonder if you should just give up entirely.

Ah ha! And that is our problem. Don't you see? A little part (or maybe a big part!) of us believes someone else could fulfill our calling better than we can do it ourselves. Maybe if Jenny B. Jones or Laura Frantz could write our book, then it would be a good story. If someone who weren't spending time chasing toddlers (or in my case, college students!) around all day were imagining the scenes, they would have so much more creativity. If someone with a different degree (or a degree at all) were to write my book, they would bring more to to table. Yada yada yada. It's all lies.

The enemy is trying to halt you in your day-to-day productivity by feeding you these thoughts. 

When you allow these sorts of ideas to take residence in your mind, you willingly give away the beautiful purpose God has for each moment of your day. You take this gift God has given you (and only you), and you throw it down, into the dust. Then you walk away and say, "Try again, God. You gave me the wrong gift here. Maybe when I wake up tomorrow, You could give me something a little less intimidating."

But don't you see? The whole point of a God-sized dream is that... well... it's God-sized! 

If you could accomplish your dream on your own willpower, it wouldn't be big enough. God says, "I know the plans I have for YOU." Not your favorite writer, or artist, or barista-- although He knows His plans for them too-- but for you. Stop trying so hard to be what you think you ought to be, and start being who you were made to be all along. Yes, it's scary. Yes, you'll probably never feel like you've arrived, but in some ways, that's the point. God wants to take you on such an amazing journey that the only way you can get there is by trusting Him. And I don't know about you, but that's enough for me.

In the words of Dr. Suess, "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You." 




4 comments:

  1. Um, I LOVE this, Ash. I've been playing the comparison game far too much lately, what with contest season upon us. It's so easy to look at what others have accomplished and think I'll never get there. But you're right. God's given me a story and I need to be faithful to write it. God can take care of the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! And if you could only see the AMAZING gifts God has given you and the incredible person we all see you as being, you'd realize there are probably a lot of people who are thinking, "I'll never be as cool as Lindsay Harrel." :)

      Delete
  2. Ha! THAT made me giggle. :) Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, Ashley! If we don't know who we are in Christ; Facebook and Twitter can be rough on ones self-confidence. You're Made for a God-sized Dream, sounds like a must read ~ thanks!

    ReplyDelete